8. The Benefits of a Daily Routine


Lately, I am feeling genuinely better and better within myself, especially due to my efforts to practice  a
daily morning routine which really is another form of “self-care”.

Let me explain.  I can’t over-estimate the importance to MY mental health of getting up early at the same time each day, and practicing doing my self-care routine.  I LOVE IT!  It is putting me first purely for my happiness and peace, but its effects make me more physically, mentally and emotionally available to family and friends for the rest of the day.


My morning self-care routine looks like this:-


5.00am UP  

Prayer

Make and consume healthy smoothie

5.45am Scripture study & Journal

7.00am Meditation

7.15am Walk outside

7.45am Shower


After doing this routine I am ready for whatever the day throws at me, because I have received what I so need : peace, comfort, love, clarity and feeling of wholeness and closeness with the Spirit.


I do the majority of my daily morning routine before anyone else in my family wakes up, so I have given myself needed head-space and quiet.  


For some reason, getting up at 5am works for me.  Coming awake at this time of the morning seems to cut through my depression and drowsiness and feelings of inertia, and I am much more alert and attentive at this time, than if I were to sleep through until, say 8am or later.  Plus, when I wake up later I just don’t get the quiet time I need to “fill my cup” so-to-speak, as the rest of the family are up and chores need to be done.


So far this week I have managed getting up at 5am on 2 out of 4 days.  I hope by the end of this week it will be 5 out of 7 days.  It just feels so so good to start the day this way.  I feel so much more calmer, and satisfied.  And, just as importantly, I feel I have so much more to give to others!  


Why don’t you decide on your own daily self-care routine that fits into your life, and reap the benefits!



Comments

  1. I find this so helpful! I have not done well these past couple of weeks because kids night routines have been all mixed u and it is weighing on me. Trying to catch my time as I can but just not the same as those early morning quiet times. Proud of myself though for finally beginning to recognize my needs and make them a priority (only taken me 48 years)! This morning I spoke to hubby about what I need sleep wise in order for me to be able to get up and function at that time of day so that I can be on the right track and get myself back in a good swing and we are working towards that together. Nice to hear someone reaffirm the importance! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great advice Cathy !! I M going to try it myself, lately I have been feeling so down and not having time for myself is really affecting my mental health!! Thank you 🙏

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kath, I hope you will get the space and time for yourself that you need. x

      Delete

Post a Comment